The German staff of Belzec had their living and messing quarters about half a kilometer northwest of the camp. The location relative to the extermination camp is shown in Overview Figure 4.0.2 Their billets were on the west side of the Lemburg Road, directly across the railroad tracks from the locomotive roundhouse (see Figure 4.1.1 and Figure 4.1.2).
Figure 4.5.2 is a modern picture of the former Commandantís house. In the background is the other house. To the right is the location of the garden seen on the WWII aerial photos, which appears to still be devoted to this use.
A nearly identical view of this house was taken in 1942 (see Figure 4.5.3). In that picture, the SS contingent is posed in formation before the house, and in the back of the barracks buildings.
Last modified: May 18, 2003